Meteorologist- Spectrum Networks LouisvilleApply Now Date posted 03/21/2020 Requisition Number: 258839BR Location: United States - Kentucky - Louisville Area of Interest: Editorial, News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: Someone who Anchors and forecasts daily weather segments. Presents current and upcoming weather using radar maps and other visual aids.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Gathers and accurately interprets meteorological information
- Operates and utilizes multiple computer graphics systems to present weather information
- Produces weather products for partner newspapers and radio stations
- Makes public appearances on behalf of station acting as an ambassador for the company
- Coordinates with news department when weather conditions produce news coverage scenarios
- Adeptly covers live severe weather coverage under extremely dynamic high pressure situations
- Engage viewers with updated forecast on digital platform
- Experienced and adept with the latest knowledge needed in operating, interpreting and explaining data from live radar
- Must attain and maintain professional appearance determined by department head
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skill/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Knowledge of synoptic meteorology, tropical, and radar meteorology
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate within Spectrum Networks
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills in English
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to work rapidly and accurately
- Ability to anticipate situations, meet strict deadlines, organize and manage multiple priorities
- Demonstrated enthusiasm in dealing with breaking weather news and high-stress situations
- Working knowledge of TV weather graphics systems required. Working knowledge of: general office computer software, newsroom software and basic non-linear editing systems a plus
- Must have exceptional on-camera skills
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology required
- National Weather Association (NWA) and/or the AMS Certified Broadcast Meteorologist (CBM) seal preferred but not required
- 2+ years Experience forecasting and presenting weathercasts
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.