Technical Director- Spectrum News KentuckyApply Now Date posted 04/16/2019 Requisition Number: 233278BR Location: United States - Kentucky - Louisville Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Engineering/Technical Operations, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The purpose of this position is to execute production of News programming utilizing various types of production equipment during live and recorded segments. Management reserves the right to add, change or revise this job description at any time.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct and/or technical direct live and taped segments with direction from producer.
- Operate and maintain working knowledge of production equipment such as video switcher, character generator, remote controlled cameras, audio board, still store, DVC videotape machines, computers, and various automation systems.
- Prioritize workload based on communication from producer or executive producer.
- Review final on-air product to assure high quality, notify producers of any potential editorial problems.
- Develop and document control room procedures.
- Communicate issues in a daily written report.
- Troubleshoot technical problems.
- Lead production team assigned for live or digitized newscast production.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to switch a multi-camera television production switcher.
- Must have the expertise to build full shows and be proficient with troubleshooting issues within the production area.
- Must be able to communicate efficiently with the producer and director about the timeline of the show.
- Familiar with the language of a television control room and have a working knowledge of all current technology in a studio environment.
- Must setup cameras and studio equipment to include microphones and lighting.
- Work with anchors on a studio set to adjust seating and lavalier microphones as needed.
- Monitor the on Air play-out in local Master Control. Work On-Air wheel scheduling to correct minor issues.
- Two years of related TD experience in live; multi-camera studio production facilities or other qualifying experience with examples.
- Must be a collaborative team player who works well with others in a fast paced, dynamic studio environment.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills required.
- Able to work Windows and Mac desktops.
- Available to work flexible hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Proficient in building and execution of effects and shows on a ROSS CARBONITE video switchers and using an audio mixer.
- Able to solve minor studio equipment issues that require hardware rebooting or rewiring and adjustments.
- Must have an active driver’s license.
- Knowledge of camera setup with microphone and LED lighting to record for events in the tri-state area.
- Familiarity with Louisville KY area is a plus.
- Working with Broadcast scheduling software is a plus.
- Must be willing to work at various locations within the tri-state area as needed.
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
- We will provide the camera equipment and vehicle for events that are assigned away from studio.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or other related field is preferred or equivalent education/training/directing experience is required.
- Minimum of 1 year Technical Directing experience.
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go