Anchor- Spectrum Networks MilwaukeeApply Now Date posted 02/15/2020 Requisition Number: 256463BR Location: United States - Wisconsin - Milwaukee Area of Interest: Content Development, News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for:
Someone who performs on-air anchor responsibilities for assigned newscast. Present local newscasts and feature reports. Conduct research and interviews to serve our local community; support journalists and editors by researching original, compelling, impactful and creative stories and/or preparing information for coverage. Research and produce special features and stories. Plan and prepare coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively and consistently supports all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience
- Deliver impactful newscasts and news reports with evaluation based poise; voice quality which is authoritative, credible, and conversational connecting to our audience and customers
- Deliver scripted and ad-lib material with professionalism, personality, and purpose. Revise scripts and prepare to deliver them on-air
- Conduct interviews, research, gather and analyze information for news stories using beat sources, contacts and leads
- Develop and write own news copy for an assigned newscast or news series and operates teleprompter controls
- Contribute to writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating news programming and other content.
- Build contacts and sources within the community and establishes a community presence outside of the newscasts
- Strategically engage in social media
- Field Anchor when applicable
- Responsible for representing channel in a professional manner
- Participate in promotional activities including community or talent appearances
- Mentor other news staff members
- Work with and guide reporters and producers in newscast production
- May lead projects or have accountability for ongoing activities or objectives; act as a resource for colleagues with less experience
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and obtain results through others
- Ability to summarize information into easy-to-understand components
- Must have strong on-camera skills with the ability to read narration effectively
- Familiar with editing news videos
- Ad-lib capability and ability to handle breaking news on-air
- Must be adept at social media
- Excellent active live shot experience
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions; ability to relate well with diverse populations and age groups
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
Able to work under time pressure deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related field or comparable television work experience preferred
- 5-7 Years Television news anchoring experience
- Experience working in a 24 hour news channel preferred
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.