Freelance Video Editor - Spectrum NewsApply Now Date posted 10/15/2018 Requisition Number: 228359BR Location: United States - Wisconsin - Milwaukee Zip Code: 53212 Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Editorial, Network Television Production, News, Production Position Type: Part Time
The Spectrum News Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network that requires employees be flexible and available to work various shifts throughout the day, including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays. The network is currently focused on the morning news, which means your day will start in the middle of the night, but it also means your workday will end around noon (most days).
Spectrum Networks employees are passionate and driven, and can thrive in a competitive, fast-paced and fiercely accurate 24-hour breaking news environment. They are creative and/or highly technical with a desire to leverage their knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories that enhance daily living within our local communities. They are nimble and learn quickly, enabling themselves to pivot when new information is acquired within an ever-changing newsroom. They are team players with positive attitudes and strong interpersonal skills. They have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for a Freelance Video Editor to edit video packages. Includes scripts for special content, politics and breaking news. This may relate to important daily news coverage, franchise, feature, or special event coverage and documentaries. Major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Transcode and convert content to be used for editing.
- Edit voice-overs, sound bites, packages and shows for air.
- Use creativity and sound news judgment to create interesting content.
- Make certain all video and sound meet quality standards. Maintain and enhance established editorial tone and company/network/program image. Ensure photographic and media quality.
- Conceptualize story presentation with correspondents, photographers, producers and management staff.
- Analyze subject material, select equipment, lighting, angle and background; select and present subject to achieve desired effect, with attention to lighting, background composition and style.
- Choose and utilize a wide variety of photographic equipment, including lenses, lightings, filters, etc.
- Use photo software to modify and create images meeting defined style requirements; edit and enhance images; apply special effects and color correction as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro CC
- Ability to quickly troubleshoot technical issues with editing software and equipment
- Ability to read video scopes and audio levels
- Understanding of digital workflows and file-based delivery
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
Education & Experience:
High School Diploma required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred; 3+ years experience news editing
Spectrum Networks believes every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication, openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn and grow, and an overall positive attitude. Roles may require the following:
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule as a result of changing production, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Dexterity of hands, fingers to operate computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other compute components
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and loss of staff members
- Participate in an established on-call rotation
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds at varying distance
The Spectrum brand is powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Charter Communications will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable laws, including local ordinances.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go