Senior Broadcasting Engineer - Spectrum News MilwaukeeApply Now Date posted 03/19/2019 Requisition Number: 235422BR Location: United States - Wisconsin - Milwaukee Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Engineering/Technical Operations, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Senior Broadcast Engineer will work with the Spectrum Networks Engineering team to execute and distribute live and preproduced News and/or Sports content to cable subscribers. This position will take the lead and/or delegate the set-up, configuration, maintenance, diagnosis and operation of a broad spectrum of broadcast systems and equipment.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide advanced level technical support of broadcast related operating systems.
- Provide hands on engineering support at the client, hardware and software level, including evaluation and resolution of technical issues affecting the network in the following areas where applicable: Studio Production, Master Control Operations, Transmission (including Satellite & IP topologies) and/or Ad Insertion, Newsroom, Remote EIC and/or Remote Sites, Post] production and/or Long Form Edit, Digital Asset Management System, Communications System (intercom), and Graphics/Creative Services.
- Design, implement and/or install Broadcast Systems such as Broadcast Router, Camera Robotics System, Production Truck, RTS system, etc.
- Work with vendors or other engineering personnel to troubleshoot equipment issues, install system updates and version upgrades.
- Maintenance and repair of broadcast related hardware and software systems.
- Participate in a formal incident rapid response process for high priority incidents with the ability to make decisions critical to returning the network to normal service.
- Train Operations/Engineering personnel and develop training criteria. Articulate concepts and solutions.
- Lead installation or fabrication of materials for new or modification projects.
- Read, approve and maintain System Documentation as well as review and approve documentation submitted by Associate and Broadcast Engineers utilizing Microsoft Office and any of the following: Visio, AutoCAD and other documentation methods.
- Monitoring, testing, measuring and calibration of critical systems.
- Support On-site and Remote productions as an Engineer in Charge.
- Communicate major outages to other team members and department managers.
- May lead, assign, train, schedule and oversee the work of others.
- Assist internal customers with engineering related issues
- Maintain and post Engineering schedule with approval of engineering management.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Apply proven communication, analytical and problem solving skills to help identify, report and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of the systems investment.
- Functional ability of IP networking and cross-platform operating systems and applications.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances and solve complex problems while demonstrating a positive attitude and positive approach.
- Subject matter expert in at least two of the following areas: Studio Production, Master Control, Camera, Robotics and Tally, Transmission, Newsroom Systems, Remote Productions and/or remote sites, Post-Production and/or Long Form Edit, Digital Asset Management Systems and Media Storage Systems.
- Assist personnel with engineering-related issues while demonstrating professional behavior, including strong customer service skills.
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel, external customers and vendors.
- Ability to install and/or support cross-platform systems.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Visio, and AutoCAD.
- Ability to apply terminations/connectors to various types of network cables such as coaxial, twisted pair, and optical fiber cables that carry SDI video, AES audio, RF and IP signals. Connector Types include BNC, N, F, RJ-45, and D-sub-miniature.
- Broadcast equipment knowledge/experience at the senior level should include: Routing Switchers, Production Switchers, Studio Cameras, Newsroom Systems, Production Automation, Master Control Systems, Digital Asset Management Systems, Terminal Equipment, Encoders, Decoders, Video Test & Measurement, Media Recorders, Video Servers, and Post Production.
- Practical knowledge of electrical systems, generators, UPS, plumbing, HVAC and basic construction techniques where and/or as applicable.
- Maintain and grow technical job knowledge.
- In-depth understanding broadcast standards preferred.
- Knowledge of Audio/Video over IP.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Assist and advise facilities department regarding issues that affect broadcast operations where and/or as applicable.
- Responsible for maintenance and documentation of station fleet where and/or as applicable.
- Must have and maintain valid driver’s license
- Must be willing and able to drive a company vehicle to and from assigned location while obeying all traffic laws.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/technical discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of Experience as a Maintenance or Broadcast Engineer
- Certifications (Desired):
- SBE (Society of Broadcast Engineers) - CBTE, CBNE
- FCC General Class License
- Network – CCNA
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brand is powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications
reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified
employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum
qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability,
national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal,
state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go