Director, Digital Ops & Engineering - Spectrum NetworksApply Now Date posted 06/14/2019 Requisition Number: 241232BR Location: United States - New York - New York City Area of Interest: Engineering, News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Director of Digital Operations & Engineering leads the technical vision, strategy, roadmap and integration of Digital products interfacing with Spectrum Networks and Charter. This role partners with the Spectrum Networks Engineering, Operations and Digital teams and is responsible for overseeing the management and delivery of assets and content to internal and external systems for distribution and consumption.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively and consistently supports all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience
- Work with partners to support the technical vision of Spectrum Networks
- Support interface between linear and digital asset production and distribution
- Work closely with the Spectrum Networks digital team on supporting off-platform product/content initiatives (e.g. Google AMP, Facebook Instant Articles)
- Lead the technical vision to integrate digital enhancements based on product opportunities, in order to achieve audience growth, engagement, monetization and the broader goals of Spectrum Networks and Charter Communications
- Oversee technical execution of product development from start-to-finish to ensure successful technology launches
- Develop an effective leadership team and assist them with developing their direct reports to drive a high performance culture
- Stay informed of industry trends and knowledge and skills to evaluate 3rd party technology
- Grow business analytics and intelligence capabilities to be able to deliver cross-platform KPI dashboards and develop deep insights into product/content performance and audience demographics/behavior
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Ability to think strategically and bring together business goals, analytics, user research, competitive analysis, and other factors to develop thoughtful product recommendations, build business cases, and gain stakeholder buy-in is also critical all under the banner of excellence
- Ability to prepare workflow, and requirements documents and the skills to communicate verbally and in writing to technical and non-technical personnel
- Project management skills and the ability to participate in strategic budget and resource planning
- Ability to manage capital and operating budget requirements
- Ability to work as a team member and foster an environment of inclusion and teamwork
- Deep understanding of digital media
- Proven track record of creating highly trafficked and engaging consumer-facing products, and the ability to lead and grow a high-performing team
- Leadership ability with a desire to coach and help others grow
- Familiarity with being a stakeholder working with development groups and methodologies (including agile development process)
- Communicate and interact effectively with senior level leadership
- Ability to work with all levels within the organization
- Excellent analytic and strategic planning skills
- Excellent collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills with a demonstrated ability to execute against multiple projects and excel in a fast-paced, results-oriented work environment.
- Ability to lead multiple projects and tasks
- Ability to meet deadlines, overcoming any personnel and other obstacles
- Strong ability using standard professional tools, e.g., PCs, tablets, phones, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to motivate and persuade others
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and adhere to the highest degree of professional standards
- Strong business sense and sense of urgency to achieve business results
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field
- 8+ years of Product Management experience in digital media
- 5+ years of Management experience
- Travel as required
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go