Freelance Media Ingest Editor - Spectrum News NY1Apply Now Date posted 01/13/2020 Requisition Number: 254774BR Location: United States - New York - New York City Area of Interest: News Position Type: Part Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Freelance Media Ingest Editor is responsible for media flow throughout the newsroom. Will coordinate with all departments on the ingesting of media and its corresponding data. Will have overall responsibility for monitoring media status, availability and quality control.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prioritize media based on immediate needs
- Book Satellite and Fiber feeds when needed
- Tune in satellite feeds using the CompuSat system
- Select proper method of ingest
- Tune in NY1 microwave trucks using the WesCam system
- Ensure accuracy of media labeling
- Notify media status when retrieving from archive
- Ensure data attached to media is complete
- Oversees the life cycle of media content
- Deletes and retains content upon instruction
- Saves all useable media into archive system
- Works with assignment desk to coordinate incoming media
- Works with News Department personnel for distribution of incoming media
- Works with librarian
- Works with traffic department on ingesting commercials
- Works with creative department
- Works with local newsgroup affiliates to coordinate inbound or outbound feeds
- Works with Media Manager to ensure all content restrictions and retention periods are adhered to
- Makes certain all inbound video and audio meets quality standards by using a Vector Scope and Waveform
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- College Degree with a major in TV Production preferred or equivalent
- Some broadcasting experience necessary such as production assistant or master control operator
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.