Freelance News Assistant - Spectrum News NY1Apply Now Date posted 02/13/2020 Requisition Number: 254529BR Location: United States - New York - New York City Area of Interest: News Position Type: Part Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The News Assistant is responsible for shooting video and conducting interviews in the field. Fills in on Assignment Desk and with newsroom production as needed.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Shoots b-roll and conducts interviews
- Reports relevant information back to station from scene of news events
- Assists Reporters with gathering b-roll and interviews
- Assists Reporters and Truck Operators during live shots and live events
- Checks equipment and reports any equipment problems
- Makes sure P2 cards are properly labeled before being ingested
- Enters information into Planning Grid and researches stories for Assignment Desk as needed
- Trains interns/new hires in the field
- Must obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of residence
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to work shifts as needed in a 24/7 newsroom including overnights, weekends, and holidays
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications or related field preferred
- At least one (1) year of experience working in news preferred
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.