Manager, Digital Operations & Engineering- Spectrum NetworksApply Now Date posted 09/14/2020 Requisition Number: 267463BR Location: United States - New York - New York City Area of Interest: Engineering, Mobile, News Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Manager of Digital Operations & Engineering within the larger News Technical Operations team is the interface between Digital, Development, and News Technical Operations. You will spearhead 24/7 operations support for the Spectrum Networks editorial and digital teams across the country. You will be responsible for contributing to the strategic and tactical operations associated with content production, content discovery, collaboration and distribution.
You should possess a strong understanding of digital news functions, technical operations in News production, business processes, content generation and have experience in building and leading teams. You will work with the digital, linear and editorial teams to research, develop and improve systems, streamline workflows, troubleshoot problems and ensure smooth operation.
As the manager, you will collaborate with your Director, Editorial, and Digital and News Technical Operations teams, to conceive and implement technical and evaluative improvements. Your role will be critical to enhancing our news room systems, ensuring they are operating efficiently, and providing the functionality needed on a daily basis.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Day to day support for the operational maintenance of platforms responsible for content production, discovery, collaboration and distribution.
- Oversee the digital, linear and editorial team’s workflows and processes, and related tools, ensuring they are configured in and across news room systems correctly.
- Keep a detailed working database of all hardware and software assets at the team’s disposal, and ensure their maintenance or renewals are made on time and are always performing.
- Experience supervising technical support staff in a 24 x 7 operations environment capacity; lead and proactively identify impairments to mitigate customer impacting performance issues
- Experience using newsroom systems (like Dalet or iNews) and understanding how they are used in linear and digital news production
- Experience using a CMS to produce and target content for websites and mobile apps
- Understanding of media file formats and digital optimization
- Ability to lead a remote team to troubleshoot and problem solve
- Excellent verbal and written skills with the ability to communicate clearly, know your audience and translate tech to business speak and vice versa
- Must be a self-starter, problem solver with the ability to prioritize and meet stringent deadlines.
- A sound understanding of the evolving digital media landscape
- Digital disruption experience a plus
- BA/BS in TV (News) Production or a media related field.
- 5-6 years of experience working in the media industry, ideally in news.
- Experience leading a remote team
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Spectrum has adopted virtual mobile recruiting tools that allow us to continue meeting new candidates. We look forward to “virtually” meeting you.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.