Managing Editor- Spectrum Networks NY1Apply Now Date posted 01/08/2021 Requisition Number: 270097BR Location: United States - New York - New York City Area of Interest: Content Development, Editorial, News Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Managing Editor is responsible for supervising and coordinating the activities of news gathering staff. Directs or participates in developing, writing and editing news stories. Assigns work to reporters, developing their stories, and guiding reporters as they collect the elements for their stories. Responsible for helping reporters put together their scripts
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Originates or approves ideas for news stories in conjunction with leadership
- Helps decide which stories are newsworthy and determines priorities of stories
- Assigns work to reporters and helps develop their stories
- Directs reporters in the process of collecting elements for their stories
- Reads and edits news copy to ensure quality control standards
- Assists executive producers in making decisions on news stories
- Confers with News Director, Assistant News Director, producers, and reporters to coordinate production activities
- Consults and communicates with assignment desk, reporters and producers about news stories, their content, and the coverage
- Maintains communication with reporters on assignment
- Monitors news coverage in the studio and in the field
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Ability to lead people and obtain results through others
- Ability to anticipate situations and plan over a one- to two-year time span
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Interpersonal skills; ability to build relationships and motivate
- Problem analysis and problem resolution skills at both a strategic and a functional level
- Knowledge of all aspects of local news programming, especially social media
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to produce clear and concise written analysis and reports
- Ability to promote product within the company and throughout the area
- In depth MS Office ability
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, Management or related field or comparable television management work experience
- 5 + years News or editing experience
- 2 + years Management experience
- Experience at an affiliate television station or cable station preferred
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
For more information on Spectrum’s benefits, please click here.
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Spectrum has adopted virtual mobile recruiting tools that allow us to continue meeting new candidates. We look forward to “virtually” meeting you.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.