Photojournalist, Digital - Spectrum News NY1Apply Now Date posted 02/07/2019 Requisition Number: 234148BR Location: United States - New York - New York City Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Digital Photojournalist directs production shoots for original and digital edits. Shoot and edit video on deadline and operate segment gathering equipment for digital programming. Ensure unity of message among all brand shooting. Coordinate with other staff to determine shoot objectives. Research, develop, write, edit, shoot, enterprise and produce compelling digital programming. Contribute editorial and technical suggestions to special features and stories. Participate in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Stratergizing Content with Editorial & Social Media Analytics.
- Coordinate video production for digital programming.
- Shoot and edit video on deadline. Responsible for the look and quality of footage.
- Directs shoots in field.
- Directs and chooses equipment for shoots.
- Work with reporters, producers, editors and independently in the newsgathering process.
- Combine video, audio and graphics to tell the story effectively.
- Manage general upkeep of company equipment.
- Work with video newsgathering equipment such as lighting, lenses, and tripods.
- Provide guidance on capabilities and means to optimize video opportunities.
- Analyze subject material, select equipment, lighting, angle and background; select and present subject to achieve desired effect, with attention to lighting, background composition and style.
- Choose and utilize a wide variety of video newsgathering equipment, including lenses, lightings, filters, etc.
- Use video editing software to modify and create images meeting defined style requirements; edit and enhance images; apply special effects and color correction as needed.
- Identify and pitch story ideas.
- Responsible for representing the station in a professional manner.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Ability to shoot and edit video as well as light and shoot multi camera interviews.
- Must have ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline.
- Demonstrated knowledge and interest of current events.
- Must be a curious, creative and critical thinker always looking for stories.
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts, be flexible with schedule changes and able to cover stand-by responsibilities when assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions; and able to relate well with diverse populations and age groups.
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel.
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving.
- Ability to work with bonded cellular live streaming technology.
- Ability to formulate questions and conduct interviews in the field as needed.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of residence.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred
- 5+ years of Shooting and editing linear or digital news footage experience
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go