Senior Executive Producer- Spectrum Networks NY1Apply Now Date posted 01/08/2021 Requisition Number: 268940BR Location: United States - New York - New York City Area of Interest: Editorial, News, Production Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Senior Executive Producer is responsible for all aspects of the daily production of news programming generated on their assigned shift. Directs and supervises the activities of all shift managers, producers, writers, reporters, technical staff and all other news production staff who are responsible for taking each news story from its concept to the air. This position is accountable for ensuring that the editorial and production values of news programming consistently meet NY1 standards with goal of driving viewership, growing our audience and strengthening the brand
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directly responsible for ensuring the quality of all live and taped programming on shift meets NY1 editorial and quality standard
- Supervises the production process and directs staff to maintain quality and ethical standards.
Leads, supervises and manages personnel on shift
- Knowledge, experience and technical capability to produce any show
- Responsible for relentless execution of newscast, and driving urgent news from discovery to delivery
- Meets with staff on a daily basis to provide feedback, guidance and advice concerning production issues, answer technical questions and resolve problems
- Keeps senior management informed on major issues dealing with the department
- Reviews content of news stories and check for errors of fact, technical errors, creative content, miscues, editorial mistakes and all elements needed to deliver quality news programming
- Leads post-newscast reviews with emphasis on positive problem solving and product improvement / critiques shows to find ways to improve them
- Continuously evaluates staff performance and gives on-going feedback for improvement
- Must continually develop and hone the technical-knowledge of newsroom to be able to work in a hands-on environment
- Supervises the editorial process, copy edits all packages, show scripts and approves the final edited version of taped stories
- Originates or approves ideas for news stories in collaboration with Senior Director of News
- Helps decide which stories are newsworthy
- Assigns work to producers
- Directs reporters in the development of their assigned stories
- Read and edit news copy to ensure quality control standards with high awareness of legality, morality, accuracy, and perceptions of bias
- Directs assignment editors toward appropriate news sources and assists them in providing interview questions
- Oversee news gathering in area in ways to benefit the entire news group.
- Makes key decisions on breaking news coverage, stories and how to cover them, editorial and creative content
- Drives integration and collaboration with other managers to achieve NY1 goals
- Works closely with other managers to determine daily scope of coverage
- Ensures the staff knows and understands NY1 vision and short/long term goals and objectives
- Creates a motivating environment for staff
- Drives integration and collaboration between production staff and other functions areas of newsroom to ensure all are working towards unified goals
- Acts as role model for staff by maintaining ethical, professional and legal standards
- Creates and executes short and long-ranged plans for staff development and professional growth, program schedules, future stories and guest bookings
- Continuously evaluates resources needed for adequate coverage and present recommendations to Senior Director of News
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Establishes operational objectives and work plans, delegates assignments
- Reviews objectives to determine success
- Involved in developing, modifying and executing company policies that affect immediate operations and may also have company-wide effect
- Works on issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of organizational objectives
- Implements strategic policies when selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Preferred experience as an Executive Producer overseeing production of live, local newscasts
- Communication and collaboration: demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills in English
- Leadership: must be proficient at inspiring staff to attain station goals of creativity, urgency and accuracy
- Interpersonal: has contact with media and general public with excellent collaboration skills and the ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization
- Establishes and assures adherence to schedules, work plans, and performance requirements
- May assist with budgets
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels in the organization
- Ability to think strategically and anticipate future trends, needs and expectations
- Bachelor degree in journalism, graduate degree preferred
- 3 + years Management experience
- 5+ years’ Experience as a senior or unit producer at a news station
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
For more information on Spectrum’s benefits, please click here.
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Spectrum has adopted virtual mobile recruiting tools that allow us to continue meeting new candidates. We look forward to “virtually” meeting you.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.