Writer - Spectrum News NY1 NoticiasApply Now Date posted 07/25/2019 Requisition Number: 245706BR Location: United States - New York - New York City Area of Interest: Editorial, News Position Type: Part Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Full Time Writer prepares, writes and copy edits assigned stories into scripts in Spanish. Also edits audio and video to be presented on the air. Updates copy and audio/video as story changes. Works with reporters, producers, and assignment desk to produce factual, clear, interesting news stories that the viewing public can understand. Writes scripts and edits audio/video in a timely fashion. Must be bilingual (Spanish/English).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reads local newspapers and watches other local TV stations to keep in touch with NY news
- Prepares news stories based on information provided by the assignment desk, wire service, newspapers, press releases, NY1 Archives and video tape shot in the field
- Adds video, sound and graphics
- Writes clear, simple scripts in Spanish for anchors to read
- Copy edits scripts correcting for accuracy, factual content, pronunciation, grammar and spelling
- Updates scripts as news changes
- Provides scripts in a timely fashion
- Suggests ways to improve the process
- Logs incoming video and audio for use in news wheel
- Edits video for anchor voice-overs and sound on tapes using current and future technology
- Works with reporters to prepare voice over material and sound for their live field reports
- Checks all equipment
- Reads scopes and audio levels
- Sets machines to required levels
- Makes certain all video and sound meet quality standards
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be available to work all shifts including early morning, late evening, weekends and holidays
- Must be bilingual (Spanish/ English)
- Video Production experience
- Experience writing copy, editing, shooting, collecting elements and putting packages together
- Experience researching, creating news stories and making basic editorial decisions on what is a newsworthy story
- College degree
- Degree in Journalism, Communication or English preferred
- 1-2 years newsroom experience: internship, field work, or freelance
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.