Writer - Spectrum NY1 NoticiasApply Now Date posted 07/09/2018 Requisition Number: 222154BR Location: United States - New York - New York City Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Editorial, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
The 24-hour news channel shares content with its sister channels in the Spectrum News Networks news family: Spectrum New channels in Albany, Hudson Valley, Syracuse, Binghamton, Buffalo and Rochester New York; in Austin and San Antonio, Texas; and in Tampa and Orlando, Florida. The channel first launched on June 30, 2003.
Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing
and delivering news that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment!
Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
JOIN OUR JOURNEY IF…
You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
Prepares, writes and copy edits assigned stories into scripts and edits audio and video to be presented on the air. Updates copy and audio/video as story changes. Works with reporters, producers, and assignment desk to produce factual, clear, interesting news stories that the viewing public can understand. Writes scripts and edits audio/video in a timely fashion. Must be bilingual (Spanish/English).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
• Reads local newspapers and watches other local TV stations to keep in touch with NY news.
• Prepares news stories based on information provided by the assignment desk, wire service, newspapers, press releases, NY1 Archives and video tape shot in the field.
• Adds video, sound and graphics.
• Writes clear, simple scripts for anchors to read.
• Copy edits scripts correcting for accuracy, factual content, pronunciation, grammar and spelling.
• Updates scripts as news changes.
• Provides scripts in a timely fashion.
• Suggests ways to improve the process.
• Logs incoming video and audio for use in news wheel.
• Edits video for anchor voice-overs and sound on tapes using current and future technology.
• Works with reporters to prepare voice over material and sound for their live field reports.
• Checks all equipment.
• Reads scopes and audio levels.
• Sets machines to required levels.
• Makes certain all video and sound meet quality standards.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must be available to work all shifts including early morning, late evening, weekends and holidays.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• College degree
• Degree in Journalism, Communication or English preferred
• Must be bilingual (Spanish/ English)
• 1-2 years newsroom experience: internship, field work, or freelance.
• Video Production experience.
• Experience writing copy, editing, shooting, collecting elements and putting packages together.
• Experience researching, creating news stories and making basic editorial decisions on what is a newsworthy story.
Spectrum Networks is a growing organization, with 31 Networks across 12 States. Our commitment is to create relevant, timely content essential in the day to day lives of the people who live in the communities we serve. Additionally, our breadth allows us to share relevant content across our nation-wide networks, increasing our opportunity to share timely stories. We truly believe in continually redefining and re-establishing how we engage with our viewers and their local communities. Each Spectrum Networks’ employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude!
The Spectrum brand is powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Charter Communications will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable laws, including local ordinances.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go