Associate Broadcast Engineer - Spectrum News 13 OrlandoApply Now Date posted 05/12/2019 Requisition Number: 240885BR Location: United States - Florida - Orlando Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Engineering/Technical Operations, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Associate Broadcast Engineer will work with the Spectrum Networks Engineering team to execute and distribute live and pre-produced News and/or Sports content to cable subscribers. This position will assist with the set-up, configuration, maintenance, diagnosis and operation of a broad spectrum of broadcast systems and equipment.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide basic level technical support of broadcast related operating systems
- Provide hands on engineering support at the client hardware and software level, including evaluation and resolution of technical issues affecting the network in the following areas where applicable: Studio Production, Master Control Operations, Transmission (including Satellite & IP topologies), Newsroom, Remote Production and/or Remote Sites, Graphics/Creative Services, Post Production and/or Long Form Edit
- Utilize facility and system documentation to facilitate support activities
- Work with vendors to help troubleshoot equipment issues, install system updates and version upgrades
- Assist Broadcast Engineers with the maintenance of Broadcast related hardware and software systems
- Participate in a formal incident rapid response process for high priority incidents
- Articulate concepts and solutions to mixed skillset users including training as needed
- Assist in the installation or fabrication of materials for new or modification projects
- Read system documentation utilizing Microsoft Office and any of the following: Visio, AutoCad and other documentation methods
- Support on-site and remote productions as a technician
- Communicate major outages to other team members and department managers
- Assist internal customers with engineering related issues
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Learn to apply proven communication, analytical and problem solving skills to help identify, report and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of the systems investment
- General Knowledge of IP networking and cross-platform operating systems and applications
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances and solve basic problems while demonstrating a positive attitude and positive approach
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to clearly communicate solutions; ability to relate well with others
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Maintain and grow technical and job knowledge
- Basic broadcast equipment knowledge/experience should include: Cameras in the field and studio, digital recording devices, video switchers (routing and/or production), audio systems and related equipment
- Familiarity with broadcast standards preferred
- Knowledge of Audio/Video over IP a plus
- Assist and advise facilities department regarding issues that affect broadcast operations where and/or as applicable
- Responsible for maintenance and documentation of station fleet where and/or as applicable
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Must be willing and able to drive a company vehicle to and from assigned location while obeying all traffic laws
- Travel: 15% where applicable
Education & Experience:
- Associates Degree in Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least one (1) year of experience in Broadcast or Technical environment
- SBE (Society of Broadcast Engineers) – CTO
- Network – CCENT
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go