Broadcast Engineer - Spectrum News RaleighApply Now Date posted 06/16/2019 Requisition Number: 236989BR Location: United States - North Carolina - Raleigh Area of Interest: Engineering, News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Spectrum Networks is looking for passionate, talented and driven individuals with an eagerness to join the best and most dedicated in gathering, producing and delivering live sporting events and ancillary programming. Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant and timely information about the teams they love.
What is Spectrum Networks: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Spectrum Sports Environment: Spectrum Sports employs the industries best sports TV makers and technological innovators. Employees are required to be flexible and available to work various shifts throughout the day, including mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays as we strives to connect viewers to their home teams. Spectrum Sports broadcast live sporting events for various professional, collegiate and high school sports teams most notably the Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy, Sparks, WCC and CIF State Championships in the Los Angeles area.
Spectrum Networks Employees: are passionate and driven, and can thrive in a competitive, fast-paced and fiercely accurate sports reporting environment. They are creative and/or highly technical with a desire to leverage their knowledge, skills and abilities to share team stories with depth and access. They are nimble and learn quickly, enabling themselves to pivot when new information is acquired within an ever-changing environment. They are team players with positive attitudes and strong interpersonal skills. They have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for:
The Broadcast Engineer will work with the Spectrum Networks Engineering team to execute and distribute live and pre-produced Sports and News content to cable and satellite subscribers. This position is responsible for the set-up, configuration, maintenance, diagnosis and operation of a broad spectrum of broadcast systems and equipment. This position will apply communication, analytical and problem solving skills to help identify, report and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of the systems investment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide Tier 1 level technical support of broadcast related operating systems.
- Provide hands on engineering support at the client level, including evaluation and resolution of technical issues affecting the network in the following areas:
- Studio Production
- Master Control Operations
- Transmission (including Satellite & IP topologies)
- Remote production
- Work with vendors to help troubleshoot equipment issues, install system updates/upgrades.
- Assist Broadcast Engineers with the maintenance of hardware and software systems.
- Participate in a formal incident rapid response process for high priority incidents.
- Assist in the training of operations personnel.
- Assist in the installation or fabrication of materials for new or modification projects.
- Utilize facility and system documentation to facilitate support activities.
- Monitoring, testing and measurement of critical systems.
- Support remote productions as a technician.
- Communicate major outages to department managers.
- Must be able to solve basic problems and troubleshoot issues.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances.
- Ability to install and configure PC and Mac Workstations.
- Knowledge of networking, Mac, Windows and PC operating systems.
- Basic understanding of IT Networking, Firewalls and Fiber-Optics.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Versio.
- Knowledge/ability to apply terminations/connectors to various types of network cables such as coaxial, twisted pair, and optical fiber cables that carry SDI video, AES audio, RF and IP signals Connector Types include BNC, N, F, RJ-4S, and D-sub-miniature.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in an operator capacity as required.
- Basic broadcast equipment knowledge/experience should include:
- Cameras- Field, Studio
- Digital record devices - Tape Machines, Disc recorders
- Video Switchers - Routing, production
- Basic knowledge of electrical systems, generators, UPS, plumbing, HVAC and basic construction techniques.
- Routing Switchers - Evertz EQX, Xenon; Production Switchers - Sony MVS 8000 series, Ross, Tricaster; Studio Cameras - Sony HDC-1500 & HDC-2400; Newsroom Systems - Dalet Galaxy Client, OneCut editor, Brio playout server, Rundown; Production Automation - Ross Overdrive, CamBot robotics; Master Control Systems - Evertz Quartz MC Switcher, Imagine ADC automation, Versio, Evertz Closed Caption Encoders; Digital Asset Management Systems - Dalet Galaxy, Spectralogic T950 Library & Black Pearl Data mover, Quantum Tier 1 & Tier 2 SAN's with StorNext, XenData data mover, TelestreaM Vantage transcoders, Aspera & Signiant Internet file transfer; Terminal Equipment- Evertz DA's, Frame Sync, Up/Down/Cross Converters, Delays, Audio Embed/De-embedders, Multiviewers; Encoders - ATEME Titan & CM5000, Evertz 7882ENC, 3480, Adtec EN 91, 100; Decoders - ATEME DM5000, Evertz 7882DEC, Adtec 60, 71, Cisco 9854, Erricson 8200; Video Test & Measurement - Tektronix WFM 8300, WVR 8300 , Imagine VTM Series , AVCOM SNG2500C; VTR's & Media Recorders - Sony HDW-D1800 HDCam, PMW-1000 XDCam, BVW Series BetaCam, Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPro, AJA KiPro; Video Servers - Imagine Nexio Farad/Volt, Dalet Brio, Evertz Dream Catcher, EVS, Volicon, Mira; Post Production - Adobe Premiere, CC, Avid ProTools, Dalet OneCut
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Familiarity with the following broadcast standards:
- SMPTE 259, 292M, MXF, TU-R Rec.709, 601, MPEG 2, MPEG 4, EIA RS-422, RS-232
- Certifications (Desired):
- SBE (Society of Broadcast Engineers) - CTO
- Network – CCENT
Education & Experience:
- Associates Degree in Technical discipline or two (2) years equivalent work experience
Spectrum Networks believes every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication, openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn and grow, and an overall positive attitude. Roles may require the following:
- Office environment
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time
- Varying schedule as a result of changing production, games and news coverage requirements
- Dexterity of hands, fingers to operate computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other compute components
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call sport. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and loss of staff members
- Participate in an established on call rotation
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds varying distances
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go