Manager, Broadcast Engineering- Spectrum News RaleighApply Now Date posted 09/13/2020 Requisition Number: 264585BR Location: United States - North Carolina - Raleigh Area of Interest: Engineering, Network Engineering, News Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Broadcast Engineering Manager will be responsible for providing technical expertise and engineering support the assigned location. Additionally this position will support new technology and related project initiatives by researching and evaluating emerging technologies. The responsibilities require systems integration, remote production, studio production and IT knowledge.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively and consistently supports all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience
- Responsible for broadcast infrastructure design, integration, maintenance, and operation. Extending production abilities to remote sites as necessary
- Document scope of work for engineering projects
- Interface with system integrators and vendors on system design, installation, commissioning and repairs. Responsible for managing build-outs and infrastructure upgrades
- Manage the engineering and operational logistics during project integration by providing transitional plans that will incorporate the new system while maintaining existing operations
- Responsible for broadcast infrastructure redesigns and upgrades which include integrating new equipment into the existing system, software and firmware updates, and documentation revisions
- Manage Broadcast Engineering staff, including hiring, developing, and scheduling and task management of assigned news channel engineering department
- Develop strong working relationship with other Spectrum Networks engineering staff and business leaders
- Oversee and maintain broadcast and production infrastructures. Including but not limited to: Control Rooms/Production Trucks, Master Control, Ingest and acquisition, Edit Suites, Newsroom, Equipment Center and Transmission
- Responsible for short/medium/long term forecasting and budget proposals for new projects and replacement of current equipment
- Track, manage and advise management on departmental expenses
- Manage performance of direct reports
- Approve, read, and maintain system documentation as well as review documentation submitted by all broadcast engineering personnel
- Hands-on role that will lead assign, train, schedule and oversee the work and performance of others
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Ability to work effectively in a complex 24/7 news environment by diagnosing and resolving or developing alternate methods to overcome issues and maintain continuity in on-air broadcast
- Knowledge of Windows 7 workstations
- Knowledge of Windows Server and SQL Enterprise server preferred
- Intermediate knowledge with TCP/IP Network topologies, and basic understanding of VLANS and Cisco WAN/LAN switches preferred
- Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply solutions to meet business needs
- Knowledge of ENG/DSNG trucks, satellite systems, fiber networks
- Knowledge of electrical systems, generators, UPS, plumbing, HVAC and basic construction techniques
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to interface with internal company and division personnel at various levels and outside equipment vendors and suppliers
- Ability to make decisions and work collaboratively with others to solve problems
- Ability to influence people with purpose, direction and motivation to accomplish goals
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate solutions to team members and other departments
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Work independently with no supervision and guidance
- Ability to work under time pressure deadlines
- Valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the state of residence
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Technical discipline preferred or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years of Broadcast engineering experience
- 2+ years of Management experience
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Spectrum has adopted virtual mobile recruiting tools that allow us to continue meeting new candidates. We look forward to “virtually” meeting you.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.