Managing Editor- Spectrum News- Raleigh, NCApply Now Date posted 10/09/2020 Requisition Number: 265945BR Location: United States - North Carolina - Raleigh Area of Interest: Content Development, News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for:
Responsible for leading and strengthening our editorial strategy for storytelling, oversee story development, planning, production and execution by our team of producers and multimedia journalists. Manage high performing team by leading, developing, training and providing effective coaching to attract and foster talent.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Provide leadership and editorial strategy to the team responsible for producing video content that brings our reporting to life.
- Responsible for the look, feel, and style of Spectrum Networks’ storytelling as well as the editorial strategy.
- Managing a team of talented producers and video journalists, guiding them to harness their storytelling ability and visual style from pitch to editing.
- Responsible for holding team accountable to organization expectations, including disciplinary matters.
- Identifying immediate, newsworthy, for quick-turn and long-form production and provide leadership for editorial direction.
- Provide support to our writers and editors in making tough journalistic calls in fast-moving news cycles.
- Develop and execute on ideas that can expand Spectrum Networks current audiences in a deeply collaborative, transparent setting.
- Collaboratively work with in-house product/platform teams to figure out more ways to increase the reach of our journalism
- Recruit, hire, train and manage department staff. Conduct performance evaluations for direct reports.
- Manage high performing teams by leading, developing, training and providing effective coaching to attract and foster talent.
- Maintain a positive work environment by motivating and communicating in a professional manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skill/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and obtain results through others
- Ability to anticipate situations and plan over short and long terms
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to build relationships and motivate
- Problem analysis skills and problem resolution skills at both a strategic and a functional level
- Knowledge of all aspects of local news programming, especially social media
- Ability to apply an understanding of the evolving digital media landscape
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to produce clear and concise written analysis and reports
- Ability to promote product within the company and throughout the area
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Ability to effectively present information to management
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure
- Ability to show judgment and initiative and to accomplish job duties
- Ability to think strategically and anticipate future trends, needs and expectations
- Strong business planning and forecasting skills
- Strong analytic, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Proven leadership and mentoring skills
- Ability to analyze data and develop and present data driven reports
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism, management or related field or comparable television management work experience
- 8- 10 years of News management experience
- 5 years of Management experience
- Affiliate television station or cable station experience preferred
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Spectrum has adopted virtual mobile recruiting tools that allow us to continue meeting new candidates. We look forward to “virtually” meeting you.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.