News Director - Spectrum Networks, RaleighApply Now Date posted 07/21/2017 Requisition Number: 199816BR Location: United States - North Carolina - Raleigh Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Editorial, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
The News Director is responsible for leadership, planning, development and production of all news programming, including management of the news staff, maintaining editorial and creative standards for all news programming and strategic planning and positioning for audience growth.
- Oversees day-to-day editorial content selection and production for 24-hour local news channel.
- Sets positive and proactive leadership standards to insure the Raleigh hub producing team provides excellent customer service and support to newsrooms across the entire state. Exercises sound news judgment – determining the stories which are most informative, relevant and valuable to the local viewer.
- Maintains and executes Spectrum News internal policies and standards for news gathering.
- Insures appropriate management of financial resources in order to meet operating budget.
- Works closely with the digital content team to cross-promote unique coverage for both linear channels and digital platform that will drive viewership.
- Monitors newscasts on a daily basis to emphasize quality control including accuracy, visual and written storytelling, timely and fair coverage, utilizing this information to provide coaching and feedback to news staff.
- Is a leader who cares, coaches, inspires, communicates and works to build a cohesive team.
- Prepares and presents to GVP of News plans for special projects, new programming initiatives and budgets.
- Provides liaison to Spectrum Reach advertising sales leadership and team in market.
- Hires, develops, coaches and evaluates performance of News Department staff.
- Responds to subpoenas, legal changes, FOIA requests and answers coverage questions as they relate to legal challenges.
- Enforces strict journalistic, ethical and legal standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism, management or related field or comparable television management work experience and 5+ years’ of news management experience at an affiliate television station or cable station preferred.
- Leadership: demonstrated ability to lead people and obtain results through others.
- Planning: ability to anticipate situations and plan over a one- to two-year time span.
- Management: ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Interpersonal: build relationships and motivate.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and a functional level.
- Knowledge of all aspects of local news programming.
- Communication: demonstrated excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to produce clear and concise written analysis and reports.
- Promotion: ability to promote product within the company and throughout the area.
- Adept at embracing new technology.
- Computer: in depth experience in the use of MS Office.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
More on Spectrum: Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, current unemployment status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Charter Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Current Unemployment Status.
Spectrum is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Current Unemployment Status.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go