Freelance Producer - Spectrum News RochesterApply Now Date posted 07/04/2019 Requisition Number: 238599BR Location: United States - New York - Rochester Area of Interest: News, TV Programming Position Type: Part Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Freelance Producer is responsible for producing content for assigned shows and newscast. Contribute to special features and stories. Participate in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produces assigned newscasts and news inserts making decisions on story lineup, video/audio elements, graphics and timing to construct show
- Writes news stories for an assigned newscasts; ensuring content is factually correct and written in a clear and concise conversational style
- Ability to produce live or recorded newscasts
- Verifies stories are written to the pictures being edited and/or vice versa
- Follows through on all assignments meeting required deadlines according to the Executive Producer’s instructions
- Works with associate producers to create the newscast product
- Produces special programming as needed
- Works in computerized newsroom environment
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Strong broadcast news writing ability
- Ability to anticipate situations and meet strict deadlines
- Interpersonal skills and excellent collaboration skills
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization
- Knowledge of current events and industry trends
- Attention to detail
- Familiarity with the local market
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Must be able to work rapidly and accurately
- Working knowledge of general office computer software, newsroom software and basic non-linear editing systems a plus
- Basic editing skills
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- High School diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred
- 3+ years of Television news experience
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.