Freelance Production Assistant - Spectrum News 1 SoCalApply Now Date posted 02/05/2019 Requisition Number: 235139BR Location: United States - California - Sacramento Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Part Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a growing organization, home of 27 Local News Channels nationwide and 9 Local/Regional Sports Channels, inclusive of 3 Los Angeles based Sports Networks. Spectrum Networks is the news and sports division of Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHTR), the leading broadband communications company and the second-largest cable operator in the United States.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays. The network is currently focused on the morning news, which means your day will start in the middle of the night, but it also means your workday will end around noon (most days).
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Production Assistant will provide support for the production of the In Focus shows that air on Spectrum News 1, both in the field and in-house.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists managers and show production staff to prepare and create programming and digital content; original event, in-studio, episodic, and digital content
- Search, organize and prepare media for producers. Assists producers with gathering and logging footage. Identify and book interview subjects and guest panelists
- Coordinates social media content for studio programs via various platforms including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Administers archive media and electronic library by working with editors and production staff to back-up produced material
- Provides support in the control room or other locations during remote events and/or studio productions as a graphics or media coordinator or other role as requested
- Coordinates guests and oversees the greenroom on days the show tapes
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Positive and collaborative interpersonal skills with strong verbal, written communication skills, including the ability to effectively convey requests and ideas to editors, designers, talent, etc
- Proficiency in Word & Excel with basic math skills
- Good organizational and project coordination skills are necessary, including the ability to compile materials
- Good problem solving skills and the ability to multitask and work effectively under changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Ability to quickly and nimbly shift priorities and deadlines as needed
- Able to execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Positive, collaborative interpersonal skills with strong verbal, written communication skills, including the ability to effectively convey requests and ideas to editors, graphics, talent, etc.
- Proficiency in Word & Excel with basic math skills
- Familiarity with graphics & editing programs is a plus
- Must be willing to work nights, weekends, and flexible hours, work on location, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 0-2 years practical training and experience in TV production
- Video editing experience is required. Familiarity with Adobe Premiere preferred
- Familiarity with studio, production, and post production equipment and software
- Familiarity working with Dalet production workflow system a plus
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go