Freelance Studio Tech I (Sacramento)Apply Now Date posted 01/13/2020 Requisition Number: 256345BR Location: United States - California - Sacramento Area of Interest: Technical Support, TV Programming, Video Operations Position Type: Part Time
What is Spectrum Networks: Spectrum Networks is a growing organization, home of 27 Local News Channels nationwide and 9 Local/Regional Sports Channels, inclusive of 3 Los Angeles based Sports Networks. Spectrum Networks is the news and sports division of Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHTR), the leading broadband communications company and the second-largest cable operator in the United States.
The Spectrum Sports Environment: Spectrum Sports employs the industries best sports TV makers and technological innovators. Employees are required to be flexible and available to work various shifts throughout the day, including mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays as we strives to connect viewers to their home teams. Spectrum Sports broadcast live sporting events for various professional, collegiate and high school sports teams most notably the Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy, Sparks, WCC and CIF State Championships in the Los Angeles area.
Spectrum Networks Employees: are passionate and driven, and can thrive in a competitive, fast-paced and fiercely accurate sports reporting environment. They are creative and/or highly technical with a desire to leverage their knowledge, skills and abilities to share team stories with depth and access. They are nimble and learn quickly, enabling themselves to pivot when new information is acquired within an ever-changing environment. They are team players with positive attitudes and strong interpersonal skills. They have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for:
Spectrum Networks, Based in Los Angeles is looking for a talented individual that is passionate about creating News television to assist and provide technical support our of our Sacramento Bureau. The Freelance News ENG/ Studio Operator will support live studio and field based programming by operating in a variety of technical roles. The ideal candidate has news broadcasting and ENG operational knowledge. Experience working in a technical, live environment is strongly preferred.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Displays proficient technical skills across multiple key operating positions while adhering to high production standards.
- Work with reporters, assignment desk editors and independently in the newsgathering process from the Sacramento Bureau or field locations.
- Participates in training programs and initiatives to further develop technical skills and contribute to the team.
- Administrative duties include proper timecard entry, generating daily reports and effectively communicating with management on a daily basis.
- Analyze subject material, select equipment, lighting, angle and background; select and present subject to achieve desired effect, with attention to lighting, background composition and style.
- Assists with breaking news coverage and last minute programming changes as necessary.
- Shoot breaking news, day of air, long-form features, and investigative assignments, all with the highest ethical, aesthetic and technical standards using the latest technology.
- Ensure that all pictures and sound are of highest quality and properly recorded.
- Work closely with producers by providing support logistics and shot requirements.
- Manage general upkeep of assigned company vehicle and equipment.
- Able to trouble-shoot quickly and effectively in a variety of circumstances. Work under tight deadlines.
- Responsible for representing the station in a professional manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Operations (Tactical Responsibilities)
- Operates technical positions such as: Lighting, Video Shading, Audio Assist, Studio or ENG Cameras, and Robotic Camera positions during live and/or studio productions as requested.
- Other technical duties and assignments as assigned.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Ability to learn technical workflows is required.
- Knowledge of television production equipment and software is preferred.
- Knowledge of studio and ENG-based production and postproduction techniques preferred.
- Minimum 1-3 years experience working as an ENG photographer in a large market preferred.
- Proficient with streaming technologies (TVU Networks, LiveU, Dejero) preferred.
- Strong understanding of a New’s organization’s goals and objectives.
- Must be willing and able to learn, understand, and grow with the business.
- Team-oriented in a highly collaborative environment.
- Able to execute tasks in a high-pressure environment while being held accountable for actions and results. Take ownership of situations and lead issues to resolution.
- Positive, collaborative and good communication skills with a strong desire to learn and identify ways to support the team will make the ideal candidate successful.
- In depth knowledge of existing and evolving news gathering technologies, multi-camera interviews and remotes.
- Must be available to work a variety of schedules including weekends to meet production and broadcast deadlines.
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines. Willingness to work nights, weekends, flexible hours, work on location, etc.
- A link to examples of recent work preferred.
- Proficiency in Outlook, Word & Excel. Familiarity with graphics & editing programs is a plus.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of CA.
Education & Experience:
- College diploma or university degree in the field of Communications, Broadcasting, Radio/TV/Film, Engineering and/or a minimum 1-3 years equivalent work experience.
- Travel depending upon project needs. Ability to travel with short notice.
Spectrum Networks believes every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication, openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn and grow, and an overall positive attitude. Roles may require the following:
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- Crouching, Bending, Leaning, Squatting, Reaching, Overhead work may be required.
- On-call availability for 24x7, 365 days a year. Overtime may be required to meet deadlines.
- Ability to lift 45 plus lbs. of equipment. Carry up to 25 lbs. for extended timeframes shouldering cameras, backpack transmitters and tripods.
- Office, Studio, and Field environments.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.