Assignment Editor - Spectrum Bay News 9Apply Now Date posted 02/08/2019 Requisition Number: 235353BR Location: United States - Florida - St. Petersburg Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Editorial, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Assignment Editor will coordinate news crews, resources and logistics, ensuring that top stories are covered across assigned shift. Determine priorities and assign coverage to news units. Collaborate on story ideas and coordinate assignments of the news gathering staff.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Respond quickly and efficiently to breaking news; coordinate multiple live field crews and the chopper
- Set up news stories by planning daily and long term coverage
- Monitor websites, social media sources and post content to news website
- Monitor police and fire scanners for breaking news and developing stories
- Collaborate with editors to determine which news events should be covered and which correspondent should cover each event
- Communicate the coverage needs of the assignment desk to crews; dispatch and coordinate photographers and field crews
- Develop sources within the community, including government agencies and public relations representatives
- Make beat calls to sources and other agencies
- Gather accurate information from the public and public agencies
- Maintain current and future files for news stories
- Contribute to story ideas and advance developing stories; participate in directing coverage plans under deadline pressure
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Solid news judgment and passion for news
- Ability to develop sources
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions; ability to relate well with diverse populations
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines, work different or extended shifts and flexible with schedule changes. Willing and able to work weekends and holidays
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Communication or comparable television work experience preferred
- 4+ years of Assignment desk experience in a television newsroom
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go