Assistant News Director - Spectrum Bay News 9Apply Now Date posted 02/19/2019 Requisition Number: 234518BR Location: United States - Florida - St. Petersburg Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Assistant News Director is responsible for assisting the News Director in overall planning, development and production of all news programming, and providing day-to-day management of the newsroom. Participates in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials. Guides the development of coverage plans, including anticipating special news or sports events, ensuring comprehensive, well-rounded coverage.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience
- Provides leadership for the editorial direction of programming for Spectrum News, including daily news coverage, long-range planning for major news events and production initiatives
- Responsible for managing both editorial content and personnel, including scheduling and holding managers and staff accountable to one another and newsroom expectations, including disciplinary matters
- Ensures that news coverage meets company policies, industry codes, FCC rules and station brand values; enforces journalistic, ethical and legal standards
- Oversees the planning and development and ensures creation of a continuous flow of editorial content
- Drives content for stories and allocates personnel to specific projects. Enhances news or other content
- Assists in hiring, supervising and developing news staff. Conducts performance evaluations for direct reports, including reporters and producers
- Works with technical departments to facilitate use of newsroom systems and to coordinate work flow between technical and news staffs and to coordinate remote productions
- Works with Creative Services Department to promote and market Spectrum News and coordinates special programming with the Traffic and Sales departments
- Maintains a positive work environment by motivating and communicating in a professional manner
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and obtain results through others
- Ability to anticipate situations and plan over short and long terms
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to build relationships and motivate
- Problem analysis skills and problem resolution skills at both a strategic and a functional level
- Knowledge of all aspects of local news programming, especially social media
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to produce clear and concise written analysis and reports
- Ability to promote product within the company and throughout the area
- In depth ability with MS Office
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Ability to effectively present information to management
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure
- Ability to show judgment and initiative and to accomplish job duties
- Ability to think strategically and anticipate future trends, needs and expectations
- Strong business planning and forecasting skills
- Strong analytic, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Proven leadership and mentoring skills
- Ability to analyze data and develop and present data driven reports
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines and willing and able to work different shifts or longer shifts due to "breaking news" and severe weather emergencies. Willing and able to work weekends and holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related field or comparable television work experience
- 8-10 years of News management experience
- 5+ years of Management experience
- Affiliate television station or cable station experience preferred
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go