Sr. Manager, National Content Hub- Spectrum Bay News 9 St. Petersburg, FLApply Now Date posted 02/16/2020 Requisition Number: 256533BR Location: United States - Florida - St. Petersburg Area of Interest: Content Development, News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for:
Spectrum News seeks an experienced journalist with people management and news production experience to help develop our National Content Hub. This leader will build and shape content creation, running the daily editorial operations and processes and keeping writers and editors on deadline. Strong writing, production and organizational skills with a love of breaking news are essential. The leader must be an effective multitasker and planner with the ability to juggle multiple stories and logistics to deliver the highest quality journalism.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working with the Senior Director of News, lead the daily production and editorial process
- Serve as an ambassador to the stations in Spectrum Networks to ensure all are working towards unified goals of content sharing
- Plan and assign resources for impactful events
- Adapt staffing and deliverables in accordance with breaking news
- Coordinate and assign news coverage to producers, reporters, and editors
- Create and retool daily workflows as needed; build templates to streamline productivity
- Know the news- stay current on all trending news topics and newsmakers
- Make certain that we provide a balanced, accurate, objective picture of all newsworthy events
- Coordinate with Spectrum Networks newsrooms to assure accurate and appropriate coverage
- Build and maintain a database of national news contacts and cultivate contacts and sources
- Oversee the editorial process including copy editing and approving the final edited version of video packages
- Jump in and produce content as needed
- Evaluate staff performance and give ongoing feedback for improvement
- Hire, promote, and assign qualified personnel
- Effectively train, develop, mentor and evaluate staff
- Conduct formal performance reviews and disciplinary action
- Provide a motivating environment for staff
- Acts as a role model for staff by maintaining ethical, professional and legal standards
- Set news agenda according to Spectrum News guidelines and maintain journalistic integrity, accuracy, and fairness
- Ensures that all applicable standards are followed; remains current on industry trends and legal considerations
- Other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Strong news judgment
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and obtain results through others
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to build relationships and motivate
- Knowledge of all aspects of local news programming, especially social media
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Ability to promote product within the company and throughout the area
- MS Office, Final Cut Pro or other craft editing software, Dalet, AP Planner, Newsource
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels in the organization
- Ability to think strategically and anticipate future trends, needs and expectations
- Strong analytic, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- Ability to effectively manage large and complex projects
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism or comparable experience
- Master’s degree in Journalism or commensurate area of study preferred
- 10+ years of story telling experience with journalistic practices that include video storytelling techniques.
- 4+ years of Management experience
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.