National News Writer, Spectrum Networks - DC BureauApply Now Date posted 07/30/2019 Requisition Number: 243725BR Location: United States - District of Columbia - Washington Area of Interest: Editorial, News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The National News Writer writes assigned TV news stories for Spectrum Networks across the country. Cuts b-roll and sound bites and creates elements, including graphics and lower-thirds. Responsible for producing factual, clear, interesting news stories on deadline. Develops, writes and edits news stories. Pitches story ideas and advances developing stories; participates in directing coverage plans under deadline pressure. Must love news and thrive in a fast-paced newsroom.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Writes TV news copy and updates scripts as stories change
- Writes both short and long form stories
- Watches and reads national news, follows the Federal government and tracks politics/elections to stay up to date on issues affecting our viewers
- Works closely with Producers, Reporters and the whole DC team to relay and receive information for stories
- Edits video & sound bites both for assigned stories and reporter live shots
- Helps copy edit other writers and producers
- Pitches and creates stories and helps setting up future stories
- Gathers story ideas from reporters, producers, and other sources
- Monitors websites and social media sources for breaking news and news trends
- Monitors AP, Newsource and other news outlets
- Helps maintain the news calendar of upcoming events by checking AP planner, government websites, CQ etc.
- Pitches new stories and follows up on on-going stories
- Develops sources within the community, including government agencies and public relations representatives
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Must have solid news judgment and passion for news and politics
- Ability to write and edit television news stories
- Ability to develop sources
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions; ability to relate well with diverse populations
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines, work different or extended shifts and flexible with schedule changes. Willing and able to work weekends and holidays
- Must be a self-starter, work with minimal supervision and be a strong team player
- High School diploma required; Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related field preferred
- 4+ years of experience working in news
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.