Multimedia Journalist- Spectrum News SyracuseApply Now Date posted 01/05/2020 Requisition Number: 254398BR-1 Location: United States - New York - Watertown Area of Interest: News Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Multimedia Journalist will research, develop, write, edit, shoot and live presentation of news stories on deadline. Contribute to special features and stories. Participate in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create original news stories; gather information for news stories using beat sources, contacts and leads
- Build contacts and sources within the assigned bureau’s community
- Report within assigned deadlines
- Deliver news reports, including live reports, demonstrating energy, confidence, professional appearance and voice quality
- Write, shoot and edit own news stories for an assigned newscast or news series
- Combine video, audio and graphics to tell the story effectively
- Work with a photographer on occasion
- Work with assignment desk editors and master control operators and independently in the newsgathering process
- Manage general upkeep of assigned company equipment
- Responsible for representing channel in a professional manner
- Establish a community presence outside of the newscasts
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Must have sufficiently strong story development skills to submit original story ideas on a daily basis
- Live shot experience a plus
- Must be able to develop sources, work a beat, and break stories
- Must have strong on-camera skills
- Must have ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to clearly communicate solutions
- Ability to relate well with diverse populations and age groups
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Ability to handle breaking news on-air
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Must obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of residence
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred
- Television news reporting experience preferred
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Position may be located in a regional bureau
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.